Zelný trh 6
659 37, Brno
phone: +420 533 435 220
fax: +420 533 435 313

Data box ID: bfi2vz4
IN: 00094862
TIN: CZ00094862 

About us

Mgr. Jiří Mitáček, Ph.D.                 
phone: +420 533 435 201

Public Relations:
RNDr. Barbora Onderková
tel.: +420 533 435 273

The Moravian Museum

Today, the museum collections include several million objects, representing valuable scientific material from the fields of literature, music and theatre, geology, mineralogy, botany, zoology and entomology. Fifteen specialised and several service departments work within the museum.

The Moravian Museum has developed a rich tradition in scientific, documentation and education work. The results of scientific research are published in scientific journals, monographs, exhibition catalogues and other publications. Every year, numerous temporary exhibitions, lectures, concerts and other educational programmes take place in all museum buildings.

The Children's Museum, a special education and leisure facility, is dedicated to the youngest generation of museum visitors. Interesting cultural and educational events and exhibitions are prepared in co-operation with particular departments.


History of the Moravian Museum

The Moravian Museum, the second-ranking museum institution by its size in the Czech Republic, was founded as soon as in July 1817 by a decree of Emperor Francis I. At its cradle stood such men as Christian Karl André (Moravian economist, enlightener, agriculture specialist, journalist, secretary of the Moravian-Silesian Society for Development of Agriculture, Natural Sciences and Local History), Count Josef Auersperg (1767-1829, lawyer, graduate from Charles University in Prague, enlightener, important representative of the Moravian intelligence, supporter of the Moravian-Silesian Society for Development of Agriculture, Natural Sciences and Local History supporter), Antonín Bedřich Mitrovský (1770-1842, lawyer, graduate from Theresian Knight’s Academy in Vienna, state officer, governor of Moravia 1815-1827 who supported the efforts to found a museum in Brno, thanks to him the museum acquired its first building, the so called Bishop’s Courtyard in Brno), Count Hugo-František Salm-Reifferscheidt (1776-1836, enlightener, entrepreneur in mining, metallurgy, and in agriculture, director of the Moravian-Silesian Society for Development of Agriculture, Natural Sciences and Local History, he gifted the museum with collections of natural history and art).